Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Down Side of Being Thrifty

Walking in to my favorite thrift store makes me giddy... hopeful anticipation of what I might find.  Even my kids like going there, so no dread looms over.  But, the biggest high is when I find that "thing," that awesome object of my desire that, amidst the rubble, is at the right place at the right time.  Marked with a ridiculously low price.  Sometimes my diamond in the rough actually looks like junk.  But, I have a plan.  It will be fabulous.  After love and elbow grease are poured out on this object, I get a second high.  Now I have a lovely, unique, almost-left-for-dead-now-fit-for-a-(make believe)queen piece. Big Sigh

How could there be a flaw in my plan?  Amazing stuff, amazing price.  I need some household items (vacuum cleaner, for instance), which I'm not sure where I should purchase.  I start casually looking at the thrift stores.  Not finding what I want, my floor is getting dirtier and dirtier.  I scan online swap sites to see what might come up...  Still not sure.  Should I look at (eye roll) a retail establishment?  I can't pay retail!  I can't.  I won't.  Sad reality creeps in...  after habitually shopping the thrift store, I no longer feel deserving of the occassional retail purchase.  Doing so would trigger guilt.

Feeling that figurative punch in the gut, I must admit I'm no less deserving of a full price item than anyone else.  If you have ever been in this state, we must snap out of it.  Although I haven't been spending much money, I have found a way to forget  STUFF IS JUST STUFF.  So, let's give ourselves a break... shop and buy from the place that suits our true need.  Sometimes it's yardsales and flea markets; sometimes it's department stores and the web.  So, here's one resolution:  My identitiy won't be tied up in the places I shop. 

Praying for your blessings in the new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment