Monday, January 23, 2012

A Little Rekindling

Preface:  I apologize to any teen friends who might find this post awkward because I'm old. My friend Jennifer was saying the other day how grossed out her son was to see she and her husband dancing.  It's funny because I feel like I was a kid getting grossed out by my own parents just the other day.  Time flies.  Anyhoo, if you are in the age bracket of being grossed out, stop reading, and come back for the next post.

So...  The Husband is a busy grocery front end manager, who doesn't get home until 8:30ish.  He takes his days off every week (Wednesday and Sunday) so that he can attend church.  It's an admirable resolve that makes me love him even more.  But, with commitments on both of his off nights, we neglect to have much of a dating life.  Thankfully we are in the process of establishing a new tradition:  Whether or not we are able to "go out," we set aside one night a week to devote to spending time together.  And, we alternate which of us plans the evening.

The first of these date nights, I waited until The Husband was home to eat the large meal I had prepared.  Recipe, coming soon.  I usually eat with the kids earlier in the evening.  After that, I gave him a much needed pedicure.  He won't let anyone else touch his feet, but since he's pretty much stuck with me and stands on his feet all day, he allowed it.  The next week, our sweet friend Gina kept our kids while we went to dinner and to see the new Sherlock Holmes movie.  Buuuuuut, despite wanting to see it very badly, I feel asleep.  During the opening scene.  It's shameful how I can't stay awake for any movies.  Maybe if I just request they keep the lights on... 

Both date nights were very fun.  There's something special about spending time together that is thoughtful, rather than an afterthought.  I believe it could be a boost to any marriage.  Blessings to you and yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment