Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Tried and True Tuesday

Don'tcha just love a holiday?  With Valentine's Day quickly approaching, my (pre-haircut) son Dash and I were eager to try making our own Crayon Heart Valentines.  So many friends pinned it on Pinterest, it will be neat to see how many people show up with them.  I found my heart shaped silicone mold trays in the dollar bins at Target, getting two for $2.50.  This will make over two dozen hearts.  The label  says they are for ice cubes, but they worked fine for this project.

I preheated the oven to 200 degrees.  Then, Dash and I got busy peeling off crayon rappers.  It takes much longer than one might imagine.
Here's a helpful hint, if you decide to do this project:  Try to peel the rapper from its seam.  Sometimes they don't cooperate, but when you can peel from the seam, it's much easier.

Another tip:  Even though it feels as though the molds are full of the broken crayons, use as many pieces as you can make fit.  It's ok if the crayons are sticking up above the top since they will melt.


You could add even more crayons than I did.  Then, we put them in the oven until they were melted, about 20 minutes.
 Next, we popped them in the fridge for a couple of hours so they could harden.  Once removed from the molds, we created the cards.  You can use rubber cement on the back of the heart, allow it to dry.  Then loosely attach the paper.
Making these was fun for both of us, but I'd be lying if I said Dash hasn't been begging me to buy a pack of Thor valentines.  What?!  We not only made valentines, we made memories!  Kids.  Sheesh.  Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment