Friday, March 16, 2012

Tips for Cooking in Batches



I have a friend Amber who works seriously long days.  She swears by cooking in batches.  I would like to try this just so we'll have more to share with people who are sick and so we can have company over on a whim.  Lots of good ideas out there for how to freeze batches.  For liquid and side dishes, food can easily be put into zip bags and frozen flat.  That way they stack easily.

For foods that are baked in casserole dishes or slow cookers, you can line the dish with foil.  Use non-stick spray, and assemble as usual.  Then freeze until firm.  Transfer foil and food into an extra large freezer bag.  Before cooking as usual, you'll need to thaw it for 24 hours or so.

How about a repurposing idea?  Take cereal boxes and the like, and put a zip bag inside, folding the top of the bag over the top of the box.  Fill the box with your food, zip the bag shut, and then you can store the box vertically in the freezer.  Just don't forget to label it with what's really inside.

And here's my favorite tip...  Vacuum sealing is the best way to avoid freezer burn.  If, like me, you don't yet own a vacuum sealer, close food in a zip bag, leaving a 1/2" opening.  Insert a straw and suck out the air until the bag takes the shape of its contents.  Remove the straw and immediately finish closing the bag.  Genius!  Wish I'd thought of it.

Here are a couple of other sources for smart freezing:


Yummy quiche above and other tips at Wise Bread.

I can't believe it, but there are people (read:moms) who only cook once a month!  Here's a guide to getting started at Once a Month Mom .


And, here's the go-to site my friend Amber uses.  Find great tips at A Turtle's Life for Me .

For myself, I'll soon just start cooking double batches of our meals, and freeze 1/2.  I'm a believer in reducing waste, so I plan to wash and reuse my freezer bags.  Freezing should be great for the budget as well as the clock.  I'll keep you posted.  I'd love to hear about your own batch cooking experiences.  Blessings!

Source:  Southern Living, November, 2008 issue

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jenny! Thanks so much for the great comment! I couldn't find an email anywhere for you, so hopefully it's okay that I'm replying here! You really should read the books! SO good (of course, I'm the nut that makes a shirt, but they really are good)! I can't believe you know somebody in the movie! That's such a neat little fact. And I just read through this post and my jaw is on the floor that I'm anybody's go-to source for information! That really amazes me! Thanks so much for all the kind words (especially that I read like an old friend... what a compliment!). Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete